Hola! Where to begin?? This month has been quite intense with a lot of ups and downs (mostly ups). I decided it was necessary to have a better Spanish foundation, so alas here I type in Antigua, Guatemala! I'm currently attending CSA (Christian Spanish Academy), a top-notch language school here in the heart of Guatemala. I've been in Antigua for about 3 weeks and it's been fantastic. Great food, people, sites...and of course learning a new language! Win-win. I'm in school for about 5 hours 5 days a week, one-on-one with a born and bred Guatemalan. Mi maestra (Cristina) has been teaching for about 20 years in the school and is pretty awesome. Although, she's constantly asking me for medical advice/drug recommendations which I'm afraid is getting a bit lost in translation..ah well there's not a HUGE difference between Atenolol and Acetaminophen right (I kid..)?..Que Mas. My spanish is making very small improvements...in two weeks I've made it through quite a bit of vocabulary and understand how to conjugate (simple) verbs into past, present and future forms...POCO A POCO YO. It's difficult, everything's backwards compared to english, but I'm thoroughly enjoying my time. When's the next time I'll be able to just take a month and learn a new language, spend my days wandering new territory, meeting new faces and 'drinking in' such a different culture. Although, I peek at that dwindling bank account of mine and thoughts start to wander..oh well, a little poverty never hurt anyone, only makes you stronger?
Salsa too! I've been taking salsa lessons on and off at a little hole in the wall across town.
In general, Antigua's beautiful, quaint and bustling with activity...Cobblestone streets, tiny homes with flowers cascading down rooftops, gorgeous people always ready for a Buenos Dias, Tardes, Noches or Buenas plain and simple and ready to listen to your life-story and let us not forget the surrounding volcanos...however I actually miss Honduras. I think I'll be ready to go back. Antigua's a bit too plastic for me. Over time it's been infested with so much influence from other countries that it's lost its own identity. Perhaps not in total, but there are many parts that appear this way. I went to a coffee plantation a few weeks ago and they showed a video of indigenous people and their lifestyles/habits. Everyone I was with ooo'd and aahh'd and I sat there missing it and feeling grateful that I've been given the opportunity to fully experience such a culture. Antigua will be my jump-start #2 of sorts..
When I return to Honduras I've actually been considering breaking away a bit from the cervical cancer project Beth and I've been working on. It's become more of a one person project and the entirety of women's health is desperately needing some attention. The plan is to try and gather all the information I can on each specific program in women's health and then formulate attainable goals and strategize the best way to go about implementing them. Bit of a project to return to, but I'm very excited.
Alright, time for a negra modelo or two before shut-eye...I'm in desperate need of some sleep (sin earthquakes----yes! 2 since I've been here, small ones though, but enough to wake me up at night--bed shakin'). Hope you all are doing well, miss you guys! Fill me in on some state-side gossip... <3 <3
La
No comments:
Post a Comment