bloggedy blog...Oh my, I suck at this.
So Honduras! It's been about a week since I arrived in Santa Lucia and it's been quite the little adventure thus far. Still trying to wrap my brain around this project and finding more questions than answers on a daily bases. One elephant bite at a time though I guess (thank you Ben). The women's health program is in shambles, so before we can even begin to dive into our project, Beth and I will have to try and dissect/piece together what encompasses women's health in Intibuca, Honduras. Easier said than done in the third poorest country in the western hemisphere. Emotions range from ecstatic to questioning why I ever left such a great (ish) job back in Milwaukee. It's just frustrating and things take so long to get done here.
I can barely hear myself think it's raining so hard, but it's so lovely. It rains at least an hour each day during the rainy season. Clouds roll in and bam* downpour. It's awesome. The landscape is gorgeous around where I'm living. I wake up to jungle mountains with the tiny town of Santa Lucia nestled deep within. A stretch and a good cup of joe at 6:45am! and I'm ready for another day.
It can become a bit suffocating living/working/hanging with the same people in the same communal area day in and day out. I took a trip with Beth and Dr. Rosebinda to San Antonio (small village about 2 hours away) and helped set up a clinic in a school. We worked all afternoon and saw about 30-40 patients. It felt great to get away for a bit. The road to San Antonio is god-awful and makes for a comical drive. I was literally airborne for most of the trip with all the rocks/holes/mud we had to drive through. A trip that might take 2 hours in distance on a flat paved road can take up to 10 hours driving through these mountains. 4-wheel drive baby, my new best friend! The views are completely worth every dizzying effect. I'll have to post pictures soon...
I got to see a birth! These women are courageous to say the least. Although it's a bit disheartening to see pregnant 15 year olds. However, in such a machismo driven culture the women have little say. The clinic is decent but still not ideal. The 18 year old who delivered sat on an examining chair that reclined with a garbage bag and towel underneath her. That was it. Very nat geo. She smiled shyly at us throughout the entire labor, embarrassed, almost as if she felt herself an inconvenience to us. Her baby girl appeared a bit premature, although we had nothing to base it off of because she couldn't remember the last time she had visited a doctor. The baby also had club feet...I'm assuming she wouldn't have much access to future surgical procedures.
I painted part of the clinic yesterday, quite relaxing.
The people that I live with are all pretty cool. Interesting backgrounds. I'm beginning to gather that the longer you live here though the more jaded you become. Beth and I arrived with bright little eyes and eager hearts (ha), quickly crushed and then rebuilt with more of the reality of what's going on down here. It's going to take time, so much time, and not enough time.
I became raging ill last night. Blah, first of many to come I'm sure. I unfortunately missed most of our Friday Night Lights marathon that we've started nightly. Alex's lasagna was more of what I stared at for most of the evening. Feeling a wee bit better today. Oh! Had a fantastic party on Friday with the medical director (Juan) and the gang--lots of music and dancing. It's time to get back into salsa!
Much more to come...I apologize for the random structure of this entry
Hope all is well back in the states! Miss you all!
las
thats cool that you got to see some patients at the other town. what kind of treatment were you doing? like a vitals/physical check up sort of thing? it sounds like youre getting to do a bunch of stuff and its a good idea to have other side projects. hope things come along quickly and awesomely at the clinic!
ReplyDeleteKarla - I am amazed at your adventure. I admire you so much!! What an exhilarating and eye opening experience-I look forward to reading your entries when I need a divergence from the depressing political satire that will consume most of my Fall semester!
ReplyDeleteThe club feet-is that something of normalcy in Honduras?
so your trip is...SO GOOD!??!?!?! (obviously in TGS voice)
ReplyDeleteWe miss you! I miss you! Sorry you got so sick, that's not so good. Mom and I drove to Urbana yesterday on 39, pretty much the exact opposite of your drive in every single possible way!
You should take a picture of your painting and post it!
Love you
The admiration is rising and I cannot wait until I can be working as you are.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like an amazing experience, full of challenges and rewards. Enjoy the fresh mountain air in the mornings, stay up late, and take in as much as you can, see you when you get back to the states.
(better work on your salsa)
rar! I miss you my dear hermana!! I love hearing about what's going on down there, please keep up with the posts!! Also, I think it's OK that things aren't going completely smooth right now. That just means the payoff for being successful will be that much sweeter. And you can't fix it if it's not already broken, right? =)
ReplyDeletewell i love you! drink lots of yummy cafe and when you come back I'll make you a skim caramel vanilla latte with my new barista skills ;)
I should probably be preparing for the mcat, which is this Saturday but i'm dragging my feet, where is the next entry!?
ReplyDelete